Canada’s animal protection laws are horribly outdated – they were first introduced in 1892 but no significant updates to the law have been made since 1954. Many people will be surprised to learn that among developed countries, we have some of the worst animal protection laws.
Attempts to change the law have been made in the past but, they have always been met with resistance from the public, industry and even members of the government. This has resulted in the defeat of any previous Bills. Recently a new private members Bill was introduced by Member of Parliament Nathaniel Erskine-Smith, called Bill C-246, the Modernizing Animal Protection Act. If it is passed it will essentially become the first ever change to Canada’s animal protection laws in over a century.
While it is no surprise that this Bill is again meeting with opposition from hunters, sport fisherman, the fur industry and agriculture, it was deeply disappointing and shocking to know that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has asked his cabinet to vote against Bill C-246. Yes, the Prime Minister of Canada wants to stop this bill from being passed. This cannot happen – all Canadians must speak up and tell our government that it is unacceptable to further delay passing laws that would protect animals.
- Ban the import of shark fins
- Close loopholes and strengthen the Criminal Code’s animal protection provisions; and
- Ban the sale of cat and dog fur within Canada and require labeling of source fur
- Update the definition of bestiality to include all sexual acts between humans and animals (the current legal definition, as decided by the Supreme Court of Canada on June 9, 2016, must include penetration)
How to help
For Canadians visit Animal Cruelty Legislation Advocates Canada
- Please contact your MP and ask them to support BIll C-246, you can find your MP by entering your postal code here
- Write them a letter, or use this form letter, call, email or ask for an in person meeting
- Take the 1 minute survey here to ask PM Justin Trudeau that he must support Bill C-246 (Modernizing Animal Protections Act) and ask his cabinet to do so as well
- Considering supporting Animal Alliance of Canada’s work to help pass this Bill
Petitions that anyone can sign:
For more information on Bill C-246 please visit:
Thanks for giving us animal-lovers outside Canada the opportunity to support this. It’s hard to believe that anyone could want to vote against it. Grrr! x
That’s rather appalling. I grew up across the river from WIndsor, and have generally found Canadians to be extremely civilized. It never crossed my mind that they would be even less concerned about their animals than we are. Cat and dog fur? Seriously?
So sorry for the late reply. Yes it is completely appalling & the majority of Canadians want these improvements which includes the ban on cat/dog fur. The Bills that are introduced have continually been defeated the usual reasons are they want to protect (hunters, agriculture, local customs..) It is really inexcusable. This most recent Bill is huge but we are meeting with the same resistance 😦 Canada is lacking in our animal protection laws & clearly needs a change, it is shameful for us not to progress. The more people that know though the more pressure, that is the idea.